Created by Rotary District 6330, HIP (Honouring Indigenous Peoples), ISWO (Indigenous Sport & Wellness Ontario) and Elephant Thoughts.
Do you happen to know a young person who enjoys the outdoors, has a demonstrated interest in Indigenous cultures, and could benefit from paid training and a job placement with a mentor?
If so, be sure to tell them about the innovative Youth-to-Youth (Y2Y) program below, beginning in just a few weeks.
Zgaa-biig-ni-gan (“We Are Connected”) is a new, reconciliation-focused cultural exchange and employment program that aims to connect Indigenous and non-Indigenous youth ages 17 to 24, through meaningful engagement.
Participants will have the opportunity to:
- Build FRIENDSHIPS across geographic regions.
- Participate in virtual and land-based workshops, led by Elders and Knowledge Keepers.
- Learn about TREATY RELATIONSHIPS and share in Indigenous HERITAGES and CULTURES.
- Experience hands-on excursions to connect with nature and better understand what it means to be a good steward of the land.
- Participate in PAID TRAINING in virtual career and life skills.
- Receive a PAID JOB PLACEMENT (180 hours virtual and in-person) with MENTORSHIP.
- Document their CULTURAL EXCHANGE and EMPLOYMENT JOURNEY through digital photography, web design, social media, podcasting & interviewing, knowledge mapping and short filmmaking.
- Receive an iPad with required apps and other equipment to keep.
- Opportunity to earn leadership certification upon completion of the program.
Deadline to apply is February 18, 2022.
Eligible youth ages 17 to 24 are asked to commit 20 to 40 hours per week throughout the program, which runs from March 1 to May 29, 2022.
With the leadership of Elders and Knowledge Keepers, Zgaa-biig-ni-gan will help raise cultural awareness, promote mutual understanding of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada (TRCC) Calls to Action, and ignite actions aimed at creating sustainable environmental transformation.
Zgaa-biig-ni-gan is a win/win investment in today’s young influencers. This is your opportunity to support their evolution as enlightened and high-performance leaders as well as potential future Rotarians. Where we find ourselves tomorrow depends on what we do today – moving forward together.
Go to the HIP website for full program details and eligibility requirements and encourage a young person to apply today!